Housing & Residence Life: Frequently Asked Questions

How can I receive mail or a package?

Every resident student has a mailbox on campus. New residential students will receive their mailbox number when they pickup their mailbox key at the Housing and Residence Life office. Residential students will keep their residential mailbox for as long as they live in University housing. When using their residential mailbox, the student should make sure to address any mail the following way:

Student Name
MU Box # # # #
Marywood University
2300 Adams Avenue
Scranton, PA 18509

Paper mail such as letters, magazines, cards, etc. will be sent directly to the student's residential mailbox, located on the Terrace level of the Nazareth Student Center, across from the Nazareth Dining Hall.  Packages will be sent to the on-campus Printing and Mailing Center.  If residential students receive a package, they will be notified via their Marywood email address and then go to the Printing and Mailing Center to sign for their package.  

What are the dimensions of the rooms?

*Please note that the dimensions listed below are the average sizes given, however, some rooms may be slightly smaller or larger than listed.

Room Measurements for all Housing Residences can be found below:

Loughran Hall (First Year Students Only) - Single rooms and triple rooms have limited availability

Single Room: 12.3’ x 16.0’

Double Room: 10.67’ x 20’

Triple Room: 19.5’ x 16.3’

Quad Room: 16.0’ x 30’

Bathrooms: 6.5’ x 6.7’

Regina Hall - Single rooms and triple rooms have limited availability)

Single Room: 13.8’ x 12.0’

Double Room: 15.0’ x 12.6’

Triple Room: 19.5’ x 12.0’

Madonna Hall - Madonna Singles and Deluxe Suites have limited availability

Single Room: 11.5’ x 23.5’ / Bathroom: 9.7’ x 6.3’

Double Room: 11.5’ x 15.25’ / Bathroom: 8.75’ x 7.5’

Deluxe Suite: Double Room: 11.5’ x 15.25’ / Living Room: 23.5’ x 11.5’ / Bathroom: 8.9’ x 7.7’

Woodlands Residences

Four-person apartments: 2 double rooms, kitchen, living room, 1.5 baths, washer/dryer - Living Room: 16.5’ x 11.5’ / Kitchen: 8.7’ x 9.7’ / Double Bedroom: 10’ x 17’ (23.5’ with closet)

Five-person apartments: 2 double rooms, 1 single room, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living room - Living Room: 14.25’ x 10.7’ / Kitchen: 6.5’ x 12.6’ / Single Bedroom (“A” Room): 10’ x 9.5’ / Double Room (“B” or “C”): 16’ x 13.5’

Ten-person apartments: 5 double rooms, 5 bathrooms, kitchen, living room, washer/dryer - Kitchen: 14’ 2” x 10’ 9” / Living Room: 12’ 8” x 13’ 9” / Double Bedroom: 14.5’ x 11’ 10”

Storage Areas:

  • Above the wardrobes, you can fit an item no larger than 2 feet high.
  • Below the bed, (standard height) you can fit items no larger than 20 inches high. If the bed is raised (not bunked) you can fit items, at most, 30 inches high underneath.
What do I do if I have a conflict with my roommate?

Occasionally, roommates face conflicts and when these conflicts are unable to be resolved solely between students, the Housing and Residence Life staff is available for mediation and support. If a conflict cannot be resolved between students, the students are encouraged to speak to their Resident Assistant. The Resident Assistant may then facilitate a mediation session with all involved parties. The goal of mediation is for the involved parties to discuss their concerns and determine the best course of action. In many cases, students participating in this neutral communication setting are able to make compromises and resolve concerns. If not, then the Residence Director may become involved to determine whether room changes are appropriate.

In cases where it is determined that the paired roommates cannot continue to share the same room, Housing and Residence Life staff does not typically designate who will move. Sometimes, this means that all people involved in the situation will relocate.

What do I do if I need to leave University housing mid-semester?

First, you would need to contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life in order to apply to be released from your housing contract. You will also need to fill out and submit a Release From Housing Agreement Application to the Housing and Residence Life office. Please note that a submission of a Release From Housing Application does not guarantee approval. If you are approved, you will need to remove all belongings from your room within 48 hours. You will also need to remember to turn in your student ID, and mailbox and room keys to the Housing and Residence Life Office located in LAC 227. Failure to complete these steps may result in an Improper Checkout Fee.

Are cable and internet provided in student rooms?

Each room is equipped with basic cable and campus internet access for every student.  To activate the ethernet port in the residence hall rooms, the student(s) will need to contact the Help Desk at helpdesk@marywood.edu or 570-340-6070.

What about cooking and microwaves?

    Fire safety requirements prohibit cooking in the residence halls except in the kitchenettes designed for such use. Free standing microwaves are not permitted in residence hall rooms. Students may opt to arrange to rent or purchase a MicroFridge through https://www.mymicrofridge.com/ MicroFridges are designed to limit energy consumption because the refrigerator turns off when the microwave is in operation, and vice versa.

      Student owned mini-refrigerators are permitted in residence hall rooms as long as specifications are less than or equal to the MicroFridge specifications.  Mini-refrigerators that exceed these specifications are prohibited.

          What should residents bring to campus?

          See our updated checklist for items to bring, as well as things to leave at home!

          What is provided in a typical student room?

          Each resident is provided with a dresser/chest, desk and chair, bed and mattress (long twin), closet/wardrobe, basic cable television service, and one data line per resident.

          What about laundry?

          During fall and spring semesters, laundry is part of your room and board--so students do not need to pay for laundry.  However, laundry will be coin-operated for students participating in summer programs through Conferencing and Events as well as for students staying on campus for summer sessions.

          Who is required to live on campus?

          All unmarried, full-time students are required to reside in University housing during their first two years of enrollment unless they are at least 21 years of age, and/or are living with their parent/guardians in their primary family homes that are within a 50 mile radius of the University's campus.